Call Us: +64 (22) 384 9791

During your Tenancy

Paying your rent on time

It is highly important that you pay your rent on time as failure to do so can result in negative credit references and problems renting from other landlords in the future. It is your legal responsibility to pay your entire rent, to us in advance. Your rent must arrive in the MyMove account on or before the due date

We highly recommend setting up an Automatic Payment with payment to leave your account a day, or even two before the rent is due to make sure that it arrives on time.

If you have any problems with your rent payments, please notify us immediately. If you fall into arrears, application will be made to the Tenancy tribunal for termination of your tenancy and your debt may be lodged with credit agencies and any other tenancy related database.

Failure to pay your rent on time is a breach of your tenancy under section 56 of the Residential Tenancies Act.

Make sure that you clearly reference your payments with your name or the address of the property.

Please note that for security reasons, we are a cashless office and do not accept payments of any kind at our business premises.


We will inspect your property at least once every 3 months. You may be present for these if you wish, but we have a key, so it is not really necessary. You will be advised a week or so before the inspection.

Please make sure the property is clean and tidy.


We trust that your tenancy will go smoothly and hopefully be event-free. However, in the instance that you do need any repairs or maintenance work you must contact us and we will arrange for any repairs to be done. We or our contractor will arrange for access to do the repair; this can be when you are there, or we can provide the contractor with a key with your approval.

Be aware that if a contractor makes an appointment with you that you do not keep, you may be charged a call out fee.

In the event your property requires maintenance, the best course of action would be to contact your property manager directly by email or phone. If your property manager is not available, you can contact the office on 03 544 4202. Examples of emergency repairs include (but are not limited to):

  • Burst or broken hot water service
  • Burst water pipes
  • Serious roof leaks
  • Gas leaks
  • Electrical faults likely to cause damage to the property or to endanger human life
  • Lift fault (in a multi-storey complex)
  • Substantial damage from flooding, fire, storm, tsunami or earthquake; and
  • Broken refrigerators or washing machines where they are included in the inventory.

If you notice anything dangerous on or about the property, you must advise us immediately.

If you are endangered by staying on the premises, get out and stay out. Call the Emergency Services on 111 from a mobile or a neighbour’s phone.

Damage to the premises

You should take all care to avoid damage to the premises. You are required to give us notice of any damage to the premises as soon as you become aware of it. Please ensure that only picture hooks or appropriate supports are used on walls. Avoid nails, stick on tapes, blue-tack and other fixings

Should you wish to make any changes to the property including decoration, you must obtain written permission from us before any work commences. If consent is given, colours and products used will need to be agreed upon first.


Under the Residential Tenancies Act, only the people (and the number of people) included on your tenancy agreement are permitted to reside at the property. If the property has several tenants and one wishes to vacate, you need to notify us immediately.

Change of Employment, telephone number or address for service

Please ensure that you notify us immediately of any change to your employment, telephone number or address for service. This is to ensure that we can contact you should the need arise

Utility Bills and Water Rates

The Residential Tenancies Act now states that the tenant is responsible for outgoings that are exclusively attributable to that tenant. This includes electricity, gas, phone and metered water.

Landlords are responsible for ensuring an adequate supply of water to their rental properties.

If you are on metered reticulated water, then the council will issue water accounts. You are responsible for paying the consumption charges, whilst the owner is responsible for the connection charges.

If the premises do not have a reticulated water supply, there will be adequate means for the collection and storage of water – usually by a tank or a bore. Where the water supply is from a tank, it should be full at the start of the tenancy. You will need to arrange and pay for any tank refills required as a result of your water use during the tenancy and ensure that the tank is fill again at the end of your tenancy.


These may only be kept with the written permission from us and in accordance with local by-laws.


Please ensure that vehicles are parked only in the designated areas, not on grass verges or lawns. Cars that are not warranted, registered or running are not to be parked on the premises.


It is a requirement of your Tenancy Agreement that you are responsible for keeping garden weeds to a minimum and lawns mowed regularly, unless provided for in the Tenancy Agreement.

Keeping your home healthy

Keeping your home well ventilated and aired will help ensure your home keeps you comfortable all year round. Build-ups of mould in bathrooms and on windowsills is a sure sign that you aren’t keeping the damp out.

Surveys show that mildew occurs in more than 40% of New Zealand homes. One home in five has repeated or prolonged attacks of this unsightly by-product of humidity and condensation.

Mould spores are in the air everywhere. Any thought of totally excluding them from your home can be forgotten. There is nearly always sufficient source of foodstuff, cooking fumes or even dust in which the mould will grow.

Washing, cooking and drying operations can result in moisture for mould to grow, but moisture also comes from the inhabitants themselves - an adult will breath out and perspire nearly half a litre of water in eight hours while asleep.

Generally the moisture generated within accommodation vents to the outside as a result of ventilation (e.g. open windows), however in colder weather we tend to shut up shop and cut ventilation to a minimum. The normal escape of water vapour is slowed and the moisture level in the air increases and the resultant water vapour will condense on any cool surface, such as windows and window frames.


To prevent moisture build-up, ensure that you have a balance between heating and ventilation.

  • Ensure that there is some ventilation in all rooms at all times. Keep internal doors open.
  • Vent clothes dryers directly outside
  • If there are extraction fans in the Kitchen and Bathroom, use them!
  • Do not put damp shoes or clothes in a wardrobe
  • Be careful when using abrasive cleaners as these can damage some surfaces resulting in perfect growing conditions for mould and mildew

The removal and containment of mould and mildew is the tenants responsibility!